A short drive from the Buffalo airport approx 20 miles you will arrive at your destination. The water plungs over the edge of the Niagara Escarpment – to what is now known as Lewiston, NY.
American Falls, Horseshoe Falls and Bridal Veil Falls make up the Niagara Falls originates from the upper Great Lakes and the river is estimated to be 12,000 years old.
The Horseshoe Falls is 170 feet high is the largest of the 3 falls. The river below Niagara Falls averages 170 feet deep. Annie Edson Taylor was the first person to go over the falls in a barrel.
– At the current rate of erosion, scientists believe that the Niagara Falls will be gone in around 50000 years.
– Approximately 28,000,000 (that’s 28 million!) liters of water travel down Niagara Falls every second.
– The Niagara Falls State Park is the oldest state park in the United States (1885).
– About 20% of the drinking water in the United States goes through and over Niagara Falls. Yup, you have most likely drank water that came from the Falls.
In 1896, one of the most historic and iconic hotels in Arizona was built. It was the Adams Hotel, and it was the largest and most expensive building in Phoenix, Arizona.
Sadly, the hotel suffered from a massive fire in 1910 and was re-built shortly after. The newest version of the Adams Hotel boasted claims of being “absolutely fireproof” and the beautiful five-story structure was made of reinforced concrete, a very big advancement for the time. The hotel stayed in that location, where it remained until 1973. The Adams Hotel was eventually torn down, however, as the beautiful new Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel was built in 1975. Courtesy of AXS.com
The historic fort active 1901-1946 on the southwest tip of Gerrish Island in the Kittery Point area of Kittery, Maine. The park offers 88 acres and includes 3 beaches, a trail system that connects the beaches together, a 565 foot pier, picnic tables, charcoal grills, the remains of the fort.
The west bank of the harbor was settled by English colonists in 1630 and named Strawbery Banke, after the many wild strawberries growing there. The village was fortified by Fort William and Mary. Strategically located for trade between upstream industries and mercantile interests abroad, the port prospered. Fishing, lumber and shipbuilding were principal businesses of the region.
In 1774, in the lead-up to the Revolution, Paul Revere rode to Portsmouth warning that the British were coming, with warships to subdue the port. Although the harbor was protected by Fort William and Mary, the rebel government moved the capital inland to Exeter, safe from the Royal Navy. The Navy bombarded Falmouth (now Portland, Maine) on October 18, 1775.
Wood Island Lighthouse This Light is a historic lighthouse marking the mouth of the Piscataqua River between New Castle, New Hampshire and Kittery, Maine. It is located on a rocky outcrop offshore southwest of Fort Foster and south of Wood Island in Kittery. A light has been active at this location since 1820; the present tower was built in 1872. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988
At some point the fog bell was replaced with a horn and in 1991, the volume of the horn was reduced because it was damaging the integrity of the structure. The light was automated in 1963.The current lighthouse exhibits two white flashes every 10 seconds and is created by a modern VLB-44 LED light, which was installed in October 2009.
In 1827, the Maine State Legislature ceded Wood Island to the Federal Government. The U.S. Navy is reported to have constructed a barracks there around that time, however, an 1865 photo shows only a barren island. By 1889, a military hospital had been erected along with several outbuildings. Spanish-American War prisoners were quarantined there to prevent the spread of Yellow Fever.
Wood Island LSS 2 copy 2In 1908, the current Life Saving Station and a tool shed were built by Sugden Brothers of Portsmouth, N.H. for the US Life Saving Service. It’s a Duluth-style station designed by architect George R. Tolman and it replaced the original Jerry’s Point Station #12 across the harbor in New Castle, N.H. which had been requisitioned by the U.S. Navy. The U.S. Life Saving Service became part of the U.S. Coast Guard in 1915. Many lives had been lost over the years from ship wrecks on the rocky shore of Maine and New Hampshire and now a crew of men were in place to protect mariners.
The US Navy took over the Wood Island Life Saving Station early in World War II to help protect submarine manufacturing at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard from German U-Boats patrolling the Atlantic Coast. In 1941 Wood Island was integrated into the coastal defense system. As a strategic observation post, the property was also utilized for securing anti-submarine nets, which were strung across the harbor to thwart German U-Boat infiltration. At the end of the war, the property reverted back to the U.S. Coast Guard. In the early 1950’s U.S.C.G. moved to their present day facility, across the harbor again, to New Castle, N.H. The Life Saving Station has been unused since that time.
Originally built as a Second System fortification with two gun batteries, an upper battery and a lower battery. Post buildings that included two brick riflemen’s houses, a brick barracks and a brick external magazine were located in the upper battery. The fort was built on the site of previous fortifications that included Fort William. In 1844-4 a large octagonal two story blockhouse was built in the upper battery. The blockhouse was built with strong timbers on a stone foundation and included a subterranean magazine located in the center of the blockhouse. Officer’s quarters were located on the upper floor of the blockhouse while the enlisted quarters were on the lower level and the adjacent buildings.
The fort was deactivated in 1844.
Coast Guard 25 Wentworth Rd, New Castle, NH 03854
Capt. John Smith discovered the rugged, storm-swept Isles of Shoals off the coasts of Maine and New Hampshire in 1614. The first settlers were Robert, John. and Richard Cutts who came across the seas from Wales to build their huts on the islands. Later Sir William Pepperell established the fishing industry there and laid the foundation for a fabulous fortune. The Pepperell Mills at Biddeford, Maine, stem from this beginning and Sir William was closely associated with Gen. George Washington and Gen. Knox during the Revolution.
The largest of the island group was originally called Hog Island, but this was later changed to Appledore. This island contains about 4 acres and its greatest elevation is 75 feet above the sea. In 1641 the 40 families living on the island incorporated it into a town and here the first church in the Province of Maine was erected, under the direction of the Reverend John Brock. The town flourished through its fisheries and enjoyed an extensive trade with the Spaniards. In 1670, during trouble with the Indians, the inhabitants moved to Star Island, for greater protection.
Today the white conical tower rises 58 feet above ground and 82 feet above the water, and the 170,000-candlepower second-order incandescent oil-vapor light, flashing white every 15 seconds, is visible for 15 miles. An air diaphragm horn blasts for 3 seconds every 30 seconds during fog.
The Battle of Saratoga, comprising two significant battles during September and October of 1777, was a crucial victory for the Patriots during the American Revolution and is considered the turning point of the Revolutionary War. The Battle was the impetus for France to enter the war against Britain, re-invigorating Washington’s Continental Army and providing much needed supplies and support.
Recognized as one of the fifteen most decisive battles in world history, the Saratoga National Historic Park commemorates the site where a new Nation emerged.
A Brief Overview of the Crucial Battles of Saratoga
The turning point in the Revolutionary War began as a plan by the British to strategically control Upstate New York and isolate New England from the Southern colonies in an effort to decisively put an end to the Revolution. It ended as an opportunity the Patriots were waiting for.
British troops led by General John Burgoyne, planned to drive south from Montreal to Albany, NY along the historic water route of Lake Champlain, Lake George and the Hudson River. Once in Albany, they would join forces with two other British commands, one coming north from New York City and the other coming east along the Mohawk River valley.
The Cornish-Windsor bridge is over the Connecticut River between Cornish, New Hampshire and Windsor, Vermont.
It was the longest covered bridge still standing in the United States until the Smolen–Gulf Bridge opened in Ohio in 2008. It is however still the longest wooden covered bridge.
There were three bridges previously built on this site in 1796, 1824 and 1828. The bridge was repaired in 1989 totaling $4,450,000 and was opened to traffic on December 8, 1989. The Cornish-Windsor Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Location: Bridge St, Cornish, NH 03745
Lat. / Long.: N 43.473686 W 72.3839049
Traffic Allowed: Vehicles
Built in: 1866
Length (feet): 453
Truss Type: Town
This bridge is a 2 span 189 foot long Multiple Kingpost Truss with an arch. The spans are 89 and 100 feet. It was built in 1836 and is one of the oldest covered bridges in the state. It carries River Road the over Ottaquechee River in the charming city of Taftsville Vermont. This Bridge reflects an earlier bridge-building tradition likely influenced by craftsman in Switzerland. Sadly the bridge was extensively damaged by flooding caused by Hurricane Irene in 2011 and was closed for a couple of years while being repaired. County: Windsor
Position – N 43 37.857 W 72 28.083
Bridge Crosses: Ottauquechee River
Truss Type: Multiple Kingpost
Middle Bridge was built in 1877 by King Bridge Manufacturing Co. of Cleveland, Ohio and was demolished in 1966. Milton Graton rebuilt this bridge in 1969. The site is a popular tourist attraction in the middle of the town.
Position – N 43 37.478 W 72 31.218
Bridge Carries: Union Street
Bridge Crosses: Ottauquechee River
Truss Type: Town Lattice
Known as the Green Mountain State, Vermont is the only New England state not touching the Atlantic Ocean and the second least populated state in America. Vermont was the 14th state in America and is the leading maple syrup producer in the country.
Woodstock has some of the most iconic historic buildings surrounding the central square, known as the Green. The 1880’s pink sandstone is the Norman Williams Public Library. Continue on to the Billings Farm & Museum is a functioning dairy farm, with an 1890 farmhouse and exhibits re-creating 19th-century farm life. Trailheads start at the Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historical Park, which contains an 1800’s Queen Anne–style mansion.
-The first ski tow in the United States was built in 1934 in Woodstock, VT
-Vermont’s capitol city, Montpelier, is the smallest state capital in the U.S. , with a population of less than 9,000 people
-United States President Calvin Coolidge was the only president born on the fourth of July. Born in Plymouth, VT on July 4, 1872
-Woodstock was named “The Prettiest Small Town in America” by the Ladies Home Journal magazine