The opening “Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin'” sequence in the 1955 film Oklahoma!, with Gordon MacRae singing the famous song while riding a horse past the stalks of corn “as high as a elephant’s eye”, was filmed in Amado.
From Spain and Mexico the family moved north, settling about 1850 into Southern Arizona, then part of Mexico. In 1852, Manuel Amado began ranching south of Tucson between the Canoa and Otero Spanish land grants. With no fences, his cattle roamed from the border to north of Tucson. The railroad opened a station nearby in 1910. In 1919 the Amadoville post office was established. A year later, the name was changed to Amado. Information courtesy of:
Stop and dine at The Firefly Restaurant. The menu rotates and serves delicious seasonal plates year round. The patio is the perfect place to savor the flavors of wine and savory dishes. My favorites are the Irish Beef Stew and the Autumn Kale Salad.
3001 E. Frontage Rd.,
Amado, AZ 85645
Eden was an agricultural town established by Mormon settlers in the 1880s and named after the town of the same name in Utah. The post office was established in 1882.
Eden Hot Springs was the site of a bloody murder and suicide the night of Feb. 19 when Englishman Jonathan Bailey shot Dr. James A. Dassault through the head with a .9mm Glock automatic pistol and then killed himself with a shotgun blast to his throat as local officers arrived on the scene.three-story hotel was completed in 1903, and it was described as a “feudal castle lost in the desert.” In 1905, a swimming pool measuring 255 feet by 70 feet was added, the largest in the state. The hot burnt to the ground in February 2008.
Bonita was the town that catered to the soldiers and ranch hands in the area as well as Fort Grant. Its post office was established in 1884 and lasted until 1955. The store was also known as DuBois Mercantile Co. History has it that Billy the Kid’s first killing occurred in Bonita in August 1877. Frank P. Cahill, a local blacksmith was killed after a fight with Billy.
Settlers first began migrating into the Verde Valley because of the mining industry. The first military establishment was a temporary post overlooking the farms at West Clear Creek. In 1865, the next post, Camp Lincoln was established. In 1865 the name was changed to Camp Verde. The post was moved to its present day site in 1871, due to the onset of a malaria outbreak. In 1878, the name was changed to Fort Verde to signify permanence. The fort was occupied from 1871-1891; with the post officially closing in April of 1890.
Prescott This charming town offers endless entertainment hours. There is a little nugget called The Point Bar and Lounge. If you are looking for a proper cocktail this is the happening place. This street is named Whiskey Row because of the large number of saloons at one time totaling 40. The reason we have this lovely row of opportunities is because of a fire in July of 1900 destroyed the entire block. When the area was reconstructed, there was a large amount of bars rebuilt in the area.
The St. Michael hotel stands at the intersection of Prescott’s famed Montezuma Street(Whiskey Row) and Gurley street, the northern flank of the Courthouse Plaza Square.The city is the county seat of Yavapai County. In 1864 Prescott was designated as the capital of the Arizona Territory, replacing the temporary capital at Fort Whipple. The Territorial Capital was moved to Tucson in 1867. Prescott again became the Territorial Capital in 1877, until Phoenix became the capital in 1889. text credit wiki
Take a break after touring downtown and head over to the Prescott Brewing Company. Their menu looks like a news print from a time long ago.
A historic 500-acre Otero Ranch, the resort features 98 Hacienda/Casita Suites and Posada guest rooms. Enjoy the championship 27-hole Golf Course and Spa . Located a short drive south from Tucson at 1 AVE DE OTERO ROAD,TUBAC, AZ 85646
In 1896, one of the most historic and iconic hotels in Arizona was built. It was the Adams Hotel, and it was the largest and most expensive building in Phoenix, Arizona.
Sadly, the hotel suffered from a massive fire in 1910 and was re-built shortly after. The newest version of the Adams Hotel boasted claims of being “absolutely fireproof” and the beautiful five-story structure was made of reinforced concrete, a very big advancement for the time. The hotel stayed in that location, where it remained until 1973. The Adams Hotel was eventually torn down, however, as the beautiful new Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel was built in 1975. Courtesy of AXS.com
While visiting Lake Meade we stopped for a soak in at a natural spring. Several particular areas within the NRA host a number of springs. One such area is found along the west side of the Overton Arm of Lake Mead, just west of Northshore Road. This area is home to Rogers Spring which produces water at a fairly constant 720 gallons per minute – the greatest flow of any spring within the park. The relatively constant year-round flow and the warm temperature (86 degrees Fahrenheit) are both indications of a regional source for this water.
The Hoover Dam is worth a visit. We spent a couple of hours walking over and around this man made structure. Check some interesting facts about the dam. This is where Nevada meets AZ.
Physically, Hoover Dam is a massive, concrete arch-gravity dam, 660 feet thick at its base and wide enough at its crest that traffic on old U.S. 93 coursed right over its top. Some 726 feet in the canyon below, or the equivalent of a 60-story building, the Colorado River lies tamed behind this great concrete wedge, its base as wide as two football fields are long.
On December 21, 1928, President Calvin Coolidge signed an act authorizing the Boulder Canyon Project, so named because a study originally had recommended the Boulder Canyon of the Colorado, not the nearby Black Canyon, as the site of the dam. On July 3, 1930, then-President Herbert Hoover signed the first appropriation bill. It was during dedication ceremonies on September 17, 1930, that Secretary of the Interior Ray L. Wilbur, while driving a silver spike for the railroad spur that would run to the construction site, announced that the name of the colossal structure was to be Hoover Dam. However, the soon-to-be-elected Democratic administration of Franklin Roosevelt continued to use the name Boulder Dam. It wasn’t until April 30, 1947, that a resolution of Congress made Hoover Dam the official name.
When driving in Northern AZ in the middle of nowhere is a funny stop to stretch your legs. On a road trip with my favorite sidekick Jojo we stumbled upon Nothing. Wikki offers an answer for this oddity in the middle of nowhere. Nothing AZ settlement was established in 1977, located 100 miles northwest of Phoenix Arizona, and roughly 20 miles south of Wikieup, the “rattlesnake capital of Arizona.” It is west of Bagdad at milepost 148½ on U.S. Route 93 (the Joshua Forest Scenic Parkway) between Wickenburg and Kingman, on the route from Las Vegas to Phoenix.
The town sign read:Town of Nothing Arizona. Founded 1977. Elevation 3269ft.The staunch citizens of Nothing are full of Hope, Faith, and Believe in the work ethic. Thru-the-years-these dedicated people had faith in Nothing, hoped for Nothing, worked at Nothing, for Nothing.
An added bonus are the hiking trails and the scenic views of the Joshua Trees.
According to ZA Highways when Mormon settlers first saw the plant they dubbed the “Joshua tree,” it reminded them of the bushy-bearded biblical leader. When Territorial Governor John C. Frémont caught sight of it during an 1844 trek through the Mohave Desert, he called it “the most repulsive tree in the vegetable kingdom.”
Joshua trees are not vegetables and they’re not among the 12 spies of Israel, but they are members of the agave family. What’s more, they’re plentiful along U.S. Route 93 from Wikieup to Wickenburg.