Mount Vernon

Mount Vernon was originally called Little Hunting Creek Plantation and owned by John Washington. Augustine passed the estate to his eldest son Lawrence, George’s elder half-brother, in 1740 who renamed it Mount Vernon after the famed English naval officer Admiral Edward Vernon.

George and Martha never had children together. He helped raise 2 of her children.  Martha gave birth to 4 children:
Daniel (Nov. 19, 1751–Feb. 19, 1754) died most likely of malaria
Frances (Apr. 12, 1753–Apr. 1, 1757)
John (Jacky) Parke Custis (Nov. 27, 1754–Nov. 5, 1781)
Martha (“Patsy”) Parke Custis (1756–June 19, 1773)

The children’s great-grandfather had imposed a strict condition on inheritance: only children bearing the name “Parke” as part of their given name would receive a portion of the family estate.

A law was passed to make George Washington the highest ranking U.S. officer General of the Armies of the United States. No one will outrank him.

He owned a whiskey distillery.  In 1799, his distillery produced nearly 11,000 gallons, making it one of the largest whiskey distilleries in America at the time.

In 1768 before the start of the American Revolution, Washington and his wife had guests for dinner on eighty-two of the 291 days.

George Washington did not have a middle name. The use of middle names was not a common practice in Europe or its colonies until the early 19th century. Of the first 20 United States presidents, only 5 had middle names.

George had almost every breed of dog known to American Kennel Club. He owned French hounds Tipsy, Mopsey, Truelove, and Ragman – just to name a few.

 

 

 

Admission for Adults is $13; senior citizens 62 and older pay $12; youth ages 6–11 are $6; kids 5 and younger are free. Mount Vernon is open every day of the year.

Address: 3200 Mount Vernon Hwy, Mt Vernon, VA 22121
Area: 500 acres

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *