During the War of 1812, 4,000 veteran Redcoats landed on the Patuxent River, marched in a wide arc around Fort Washington—the only defensive fortification in the area until the Civil War—and burned the Capitol.
Pack a picnic and take advantage of the shade. There is a $10 entry fee good for multiple days. The path to the lighthouse is pleasant and the view of the city is picturesque. Most of the buildings are not open to the public however plan on spending an hour or better walking around the grounds. This would be the perfect day picnic with the family.
13551 Fort Washington Road
Fort Washington, MD20744
Phone: (301) 763-4600
The Visitor Center and Historic Fort are open daily 9:00 am – 4:30 pm.
White’s Ferry is a cable ferry service for cars, bicycles, and pedestrians across the Potomac River near Leesburg. White’s Ferry is located at 39°9′17.26″N 77°31′13.50″W. The ferry is named after the confederate Civil War General Jubal A. Early. At the peak of the ferries there were 100 now this is the only cable ferry in service.
This is a small ferry holding a max of 24 cars. The ride is quick around 5 minutes to cross and a couple of minutes to load and unload.
The cost for a one way car is $5 or $8 for a round trip.
The Rocklands Farm is the perfect serene location to have a wine tasting or a glass of wine. There is also a market to purchase meat and other goodies. I enjoyed the craft pizza baked while you sip and relax. No pets allowed and most of the patrons are families.
Rockland Farms hosted several including a wine camp, live music and more.
This is an active farm with residences in house so be mindful of their personal space. Take a walk and see the animals.
We know her as Clara Barton, but her full name is Clarissa Harlowe Barton. She was named after a character from the novel Clarissa or the History of a Young Lady, which her aunt was reading when Clara was born in 1821.
– Clara became a teacher at the age of 16. Later, when she was 30, she opened a free school in Bordentown, New Jersey.
– She also had a job as a clerk in the U.S. Patent Office.
– When the Civil War began, she worked as a battlefield nurse. One of the soldiers to whom she tended told her, “This is the second time you saved my life.” He then explained that she had been his teacher in New Jersey.
– Clara was first introduced to the International Red Cross when she visited Switzerland while recovering from a nervous breakdown after the war. She suggested starting an American Red Cross to President Chester Arthur, he loved it. Clara was named its first president in 1881.
Her property is closed due to much needed rennovations.
In the early 20th century the Chautauqua site was turned into an amusement park named Glen Echo Park. The amusement park was one of the larger establishments of its type in the Washington, D.C. area, and was very popular well into the late 1940s. By the mid-1950s, however, attendance began to decline due to the growing popularity of larger regional theme parks, such as Disneyland. Another blow to the park occurred in 1960 when the trolley line from Washington, D.C. ceased operation.
Carderock’s name is first recorded as a 1,705 acre tract registered in 1802 with state of Maryland by Robert Peter of Georgetown.
The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park is located in the District of Columbia and the states of Maryland and West Virginia. The park was established in 1961 as a National Monument by President Dwight D. Eisenhower to preserve the neglected remains of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal and many of its original structures.
The canal and towpath trail extends along the Potomac River from Georgetown, Washington, D.C., to Cumberland, Maryland, a distance of 184.5 miles. In 2013, the path was designated as the first section of U.S. Bicycle Route 50.
It’s a one of a kind experience. This old fashioned race is held yearly in Fredrick Maryland.
High Wheel Bicycle (also known as Penny Farthing)
A high wheel bicycle (also known as a penny farthing, high wheeler and ordinary) is a type of bicycle with a large front wheel and a much smaller rear wheel that was popular in the 1880s. The first Penny farthing was invented in 1871 by British engineer, James Starley. The Penny Farthing came after the development of the ‘Hobbyhorse’, and the French ‘Velocipede’ or ‘Boneshaker’, all versions of early bikes. However, the Penny Farthing was the first really efficient bicycle, consisting of a small rear wheel and large front wheel pivoting on a simple tubular frame with tires of rubber.