The park is on land established as Caledon Plantation in 1659. The land was donated to the commonwealth in 1974 by Ann Hopewell Smoot in memory of her late husband, Lewis E. Smoot. It became a state Natural Area in 1984, partly to help protect the eagle population. source
In 2012, the land officially became Caledon State Park. The trails are offer 6 remote primitive campsites that can only be accessed only by foot or boat. To access the Potomac is a 4 mile hike round trip.