The opening “Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin'” sequence in the 1955 film Oklahoma!, with Gordon MacRae singing the famous song while riding a horse past the stalks of corn “as high as a elephant’s eye”, was filmed in Amado.
From Spain and Mexico the family moved north, settling about 1850 into Southern Arizona, then part of Mexico. In 1852, Manuel Amado began ranching south of Tucson between the Canoa and Otero Spanish land grants. With no fences, his cattle roamed from the border to north of Tucson. The railroad opened a station nearby in 1910. In 1919 the Amadoville post office was established. A year later, the name was changed to Amado. Information courtesy of:
Stop and dine at The Firefly Restaurant. The menu rotates and serves delicious seasonal plates year round. The patio is the perfect place to savor the flavors of wine and savory dishes. My favorites are the Irish Beef Stew and the Autumn Kale Salad.
3001 E. Frontage Rd.,
Amado, AZ 85645
Eden was an agricultural town established by Mormon settlers in the 1880s and named after the town of the same name in Utah. The post office was established in 1882.
Eden Hot Springs was the site of a bloody murder and suicide the night of Feb. 19 when Englishman Jonathan Bailey shot Dr. James A. Dassault through the head with a .9mm Glock automatic pistol and then killed himself with a shotgun blast to his throat as local officers arrived on the scene.three-story hotel was completed in 1903, and it was described as a “feudal castle lost in the desert.” In 1905, a swimming pool measuring 255 feet by 70 feet was added, the largest in the state. The hot burnt to the ground in February 2008.
Bonita was the town that catered to the soldiers and ranch hands in the area as well as Fort Grant. Its post office was established in 1884 and lasted until 1955. The store was also known as DuBois Mercantile Co. History has it that Billy the Kid’s first killing occurred in Bonita in August 1877. Frank P. Cahill, a local blacksmith was killed after a fight with Billy.
This New Mexico state motto is a Latin motto and in English it may be translated as “It Grows as It Goes.”
Shakespeare ghost town is located a short drive outside Lordsburg NM. The town has had several names through the years and only acquired its present one in 1879 at the beginning of its second mining boom. It is located here because there was a small but reliable spring located in the arroyo west of the town. text credit http://www.shakespeareghostown.com
Deming New Mexico
The city, founded in 1881 and incorporated in 1902, was an important port of entry on the US-Mexican border until the Gadsden Purchase of 1853. A nickname was given to the city at the time of its founding, “New Chicago.” It was expected that with the surge of railroad usage, that the city would grow drastically and resemble Chicago, Illinois.
Deming is named after Mary Ann Deming Crocker, wife of Charles Crocker, one of The Big Four of the railroad industry. The Silver Spike was driven here in 1881 to commemorate the meeting of the Southern Pacific with the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe railroads. This was the second transcontinental railroad to be completed in the United States. Credit wiki
Stop by the museum and the port of entry house for customs across the street. St. Clair is the largest vineyard and winery in New Mexico. The tasting room is gorgeous and full of flavors.
Ruby Ghost Town: Mining started around 1877. The Montana Mine produced gold, silver, lead, zinc and copper. At its peak in the mid-1930s, Ruby had a population of about 1,200. If you want to take a step back in time this is an excellent day trip or a stellar spot to go camping.
The town had electricity powered by diesel engines and a physician, Dr. Woodard, hired by Eagle-Picher in 1930.
A concrete jail was erected in 1934 as a temporary holding cell for prisoners who were transported to Nogales. Before the jail was built, prisoners were secured to a mesquite tree. Remains of the jail still stand.
Between 1928 and 1940, 773,197 tons of ore were milled from the Montana Mine at a profit of $4.5 million. Eagle-Picher built a 400-ton flotation mill and developed the workings to a depth of 750 feet with six main levels extending several thousand feet along the ore vein.