It’s a one of a kind experience. This old fashioned race is held yearly in Fredrick Maryland.
High Wheel Bicycle (also known as Penny Farthing)
A high wheel bicycle (also known as a penny farthing, high wheeler and ordinary) is a type of bicycle with a large front wheel and a much smaller rear wheel that was popular in the 1880s. The first Penny farthing was invented in 1871 by British engineer, James Starley. The Penny Farthing came after the development of the ‘Hobbyhorse’, and the French ‘Velocipede’ or ‘Boneshaker’, all versions of early bikes. However, the Penny Farthing was the first really efficient bicycle, consisting of a small rear wheel and large front wheel pivoting on a simple tubular frame with tires of rubber.
The earliest recorded claim to the land was made by the Doeg. Later the Lee family of Virginia owned the land from 1725 to 1839. Richard Bland Lee did not build the main house until 1794. Following the purchase by William Swartwort in 1838, Sully was used as a home, a working farm, or both by a series of private owners. Then in 1958, Sully was acquired by the federal government as a part of the area to be used for the construction of Dulles Airport.
Chinatown is a small historic neighborhood of Washington, D.C.
The area was mostly populated by German immigrants however Chinese immigrants began migrating to the area in the 1930’s after being displaced from the original Chinatown along Pennsylvania Avenue.
Alleged member of Abraham Lincoln assassination conspiracy. Born Mary Jenkins in 1820 in Waterloo, Maryland. Mary Surratt has the dubious distinction of being the first woman executed by the U.S. government. She was hanged for treason in 1865.
According to Wiki:
After Lincoln was murdered, Surratt was arrested and put on trial the following month, along with the other conspirators. She was convicted primarily due to the testimonies of Lloyd, who said that she told him to have the “shooting irons” ready, and Louis J. Weichmann, who testified about Surratt’s relationships with Confederate groups and sympathizers. Five of the nine judges at her trial asked that Surratt be granted clemency by President Andrew Johnson because of her age and sex. Johnson did not grant her clemency, though accounts differ as to whether or not he received the clemency request. Surratt was hanged on July 7, 1865 and later buried in Mount Olivet Cemetery. She has since been portrayed in film, theater and television.
Read more about her story at:
Her house is now a restaurant pictured above.
Other popular attractions include:
Capital One Arena
National Portrait Gallery and Smithsonian American Art Museum
Washington Convention Center
German cultural center Goethe-Institut
Marian Koshland Science Museum.
Best places to eat:
Home to several exhibits including:
■ America’s Presidents
■ The Struggle for Justice
■ Portrait Connection
■ Special Exhibitions
■ American Origins, 1600–1900
■ One Life
■ American Experience
■ Folk and Self-taught Art
■ Graphic Arts
■ American Art through 1940
Did you know:
The original residents of the buildings were employees of the US Patent Office.
Confederate Casualties at First Bull Run (approximate) Beauregard and Johnston’s combined force of 30,800 had 390 killed, 1,600 wounded, and about a dozen missing, a total of approximately 2,000 or about 6.5 percent. Both sides suffered about the same number of killed and wounded.
The Stone House was built to be both a wagon stop and a private residence, on the 2nd floor. As it was strategically located right across from the toll gate located on the new 1828 Warrenton Turnpike, it was used as place to rest, grab a bite to eat and enjoy some hard drinking before traveling down this marvelous private, paved road. In the early part of the 19th century, many goods were taken to cities by horse and wagon; driven by drovers and teamsters; the 19th century version of the 20th century truck drivers. The owners had living quarters on the second floor and did very well indeed for the 22 years that they owned it.
Starting in 1850, the next owners of The Stone House were Henry and Jane Matthews. Unfortunately, they were not as successful because of the building of the new railroad stop in the city of Manassas in the 1850’s, causing their road business to steadily decline. The Matthews family turned to farming corn, oats and hops to make ends meet. During the Civil War, the Matthews family found that the location of the Stone House was not an income enhancer, and down right dangerous.
In 1861 and 1862, they found that their Stone House and their farm property was swallowed up by the two battles of Bull Run. Despite the two invasions of wounded soldiers into their establishment, they held onto their property.
The Stone House became a field hospital for wounded men of both sides, because of its location.
During Stonewall Jackson’s attack at Henry House Hill, the Confederate soldiers charged with their bayonets and screamed a terrifying high pitch battle cry that later became known as the “rebel yell.”
Address: 450 F St NW, Washington, DC 20001
Since 1791, more than 20,000 law enforcement officers have died in the line of duty. The National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial ensures that those who made the ultimate sacrifice are remembered for generations to come, while providing a place where survivors can spend a quiet moment paying tribute to their loved ones.
There’s a legend that pirate Captain William Kidd left buried treasure somewhere in Cape May, NJ. Pirates traveling up the coast regularly dropped anchor on the shores of Cape May, NJ. The Lenni Lenape were the first to inhabit Cape May. Cape May was named after a Dutch captain, Cornelius Jacobsen Mey.
This bunker or gun emplacement was built in 1942. The round turrets on either side held six-inch guns. The horseshoe-shaped structures which can be seen out in front at low tide are Panama Mounts. These were built in July, 1941, prior to the construction of the more permanent bunker, and held four 155mm coast artillery guns. A sister bunker stands across the bay in Lewes, Delaware.
There are couple of local hops and vines to visit.
Located on the first floor of the museum, the core exhibits narrate the history of the Holocaust. As visitors progress through these exhibits—and chronologically through the events of the Holocaust—they are presented with a glimpse into the systematic destruction of European Jewry. 300 artifacts and the testimonies of local Holocaust survivors expand upon this history, representing the tangible and personal realities of this event.
In 2004, the VHM acquired an authentic “goods wagon,” or freight car, used during the Third Reich. Alexander Lebenstein, a local Holocaust survivor, worked with the museum to bring this important artifact to Richmond. Visitors have the opportunity to enter the artifact and imagine the conditions experienced by the people transported in this type of rail car.
At the center of the VHM’s core exhibits is the story of a single family, the Ipsons. The Ipson Saga exhibition shares the experience of a family of local Holocaust survivors whose confinement in the Kovno Ghetto and harried escape to a farm in the Lithuanian countryside highlight the constant dangers Jews faced during the Holocaust.